Sunday, September 10, 2023

my take on the warhol rose infinite parallel project

it's been about five months since gavin posted about the "warhol rose infinite parallel project" and i am just now getting around to posting my contribution.

for those of you not familiar - click on the link above to catch up. i'll wait.

so, here is the "base" card design that gavin provided
it's a different take on rose's 1985 topps card, with plenty of blank space to play with.

my parallel was inspired by hit number 4192 which came against eric show and the padres 38 years ago tomorrow. this was such a big deal, for those of you who don't recall or weren't around, that the major tv networks cut in to show rose's at bats live.

anyway, there are a couple of cards in my collection that show the aftermath of that historic hit, including this 1991 the shanks collection broder
and this 1994 upper deck the american epic card
i even whipped up a custom of my own a long time ago to create one of the "missing" cards from the 1999 upper deck century legends set
each of those cards are in my collection because they show steve garvey in the background. so, i had to do something similar for gavin's project - behold:
sure, i left some of it unfinished, but for me the background is the focus.

there are two things that i think about every time i see the photo of rose pointing to the sky with garvey in the background:
  1. how cool is it that garvey was on the field to see both babe ruth's career home run record and ty cobb's career hits record fall?
  2. garvey smiling makes me think that he was happy for rose's success. i try to be that way with others, too.
i wish there were more cards that featured that particular photo, but i am thankful for the few that do - including broders and customs.

thanks for the inspiration and template gavin!

5 comments:

  1. That's a bit freaky - a horde of Garvey duplicates leering from behind an unfinished Rose. But cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Thanks for sharing. Have you printed it out? Hey maybe we could collab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haven't printed it - i might do some finishing on it. collab sounds great!

      Delete
  3. That's pretty interesting about Steve being on the field for both of those events. I hadn't been aware of that particular bit of trivia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job with the Rose. I have my clean canvas Rose sitting on my desk... waiting to be customized. Just haven't found anything that has called out to me... and after seeing yours... I'm almost scared to try.

    ReplyDelete