Sunday, March 20, 2022

recompleting a set only to find it once again incomplete

last night's post was all about cards that i received from nick at dime boxes, but i have one more card that he sent to share:
that's a 1990 baseball wit card of short-time dodger hack wilson.

i had made it a point a while back to complete this set, but for whatever reason i went to my spreadsheet to confirm that i did, in fact, have this card. long story short, i did not.

in fact, wilson was not on my dodger team set list of players. branch rickey was, even though it is questionable as to whether or not his card features a photo of him from his dodger tenure. wilson, of course, is best known as a cub, but that is clearly a brooklyn dodgers uniform he is wearing in the photo used on his baseball wit card. there is a note on the back (not shown) that notes the photo as courtesy of the cubs which is strange.

i took my dodger team checklist from "team sets 4 u" back when it was easier to find checklists on that site. i thought about letting them know about their error, but the last time i made a checklist suggestion to them they pushed back so i don't have much desire to assist. i think there was another blogger who pointed out an issue with a checklist  to them and was rewarded with cards. go figure. that was definitely not my experience. 

anyway, this team set went from completed without wilson to completed with wilson, but then i noticed that my manny mota card from the set is the unnumbered version, so i still "need" a numbered mota. it's ok - i will take that over not being aware of a hack wilson dodger card to collect.

thanks nick!

4 comments:

  1. Happy to help! I get an odd joy out of Hack Wilson Dodger cards, probably because there's so few out there. I also had no idea there were numbered/unnumbered versions of these (off to check my binders & see which ones I have/don't have!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've no idea why there are numbered and unnumbered versions but there are.

      Delete
  2. I picked up one of these sets a few years ago. Didn't realize there were numbered and unnumbered versions. Then again, I don't think I ever opened up my set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a fun set. you could bust it open and enjoy some baseball trivia from the card backs.

      Delete