Saturday, January 2, 2021

1950's represent!

sometime around the year 2000, i began putting together "sampler" sets of topps sets from 1952 through 1969. i had no intention of ever completing any of those sets, and i figured it would be a fun idea to pick up a card from each team and each subset for those older sets.

i finished the task in a few years (it was a low priority), but then decided to scrap the collection as i began putting together the 1965 and 1957 sets.  now, i've decided to put together a "representative card" mini collection that will make it easier for me to see a great card from each topps flagship set from 1952 on.

i'll show off the cards occasionally, along with a reason for choosing that particular card. i won't use a card that is in my dodger collection, or any other collection for that matter, so i should wind up with a good variety.  here are the cards that represent the 1950's in this mini collection:

1952 - chuck stobbs
this card is one of the first that i added to my 1952 sampler, but that's not the only reason that i've chosen it for this project. it's a great looking, colorful card, and features stobbs (a pitcher) posing like a slugger with the bat resting on his shoulder. stobbs was only 18 when he debuted with the red sox in 1947, and looks the part of a young ballplayer five years later.

1953 - ralph kiner
the first (but not only) pirate and hall of famer to represent the 1950's. this kiner card was in a lot of vintage cards that i bought back when i started the sampler project. this was his final pirates card as he was dealt to the cubs during the 1953 season. he only played for 10 years, but stuck around the game for the remainder of his life.

1954 - ed and john o'brien
another pirates card! this one was picked up for the sampler as the only 'combo' card in the 1954 set. i know it's not really a combo card, but i wanted it in my sampler anyway. neither o'brien brother suited up for the pirates in 1954, but both were with the club in '53 and again from 1955 to 1958.  both played the infield and also pitched, with ed's 1957 topps card even listing his position as "ss-p". 

1955 - joe amalfitano
i chose this card because amalfitano was well known to me as the dodger third base coach for most of tom lasorda's managerial reign. 

1956 - wally moon
the unibrow makes this card, although i am also about 95% sure that the catcher appearing here is roy campanella.

1957 - elmer valo
the valo card is well recognized as one of the highlights of the 1957 set, and it was one of the first that i added to my sampler collection. it is also the card that helped me decide to pursue the complete set - something i hadn't committed to doing when i first showed one of the valo cards from my collection.

1958 - pete whisenant
whisenant here is one of the few (only?) black background cards in the 1958 set, and it creates a striking piece of cardboard. for the 1958 set, i not only had at least one card from each team and subset, but also at least one card featuring every different color background.

1959 - roberto clemente
here's the only card in this collection that wasn't part of my sampler set. no, this clemente belonged to my dad, who must have picked it up as part of a deal for some 1959 dodger cards. he had no other clemente cards, and his star player collections didn't include clemente. however it came in to his possession, i am thankful as it made its way to me a couple of years ago.

i used to own a 1951 topps luke easter card, but sold it off a few years ago. i don't plan to pick up a 1951 card for this collection, but if i were to do so, i would probably seek out easter again.

which cards would represent the 1950's in your collection?

up next, the 1960's represent! stay tuned...

6 comments:

  1. Nice representative group. Some of my favorites in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! i was sure to pick some nice looking cards for my sampler sets, so i had some good ones to choose from.

      Delete
  2. A lot of nice cards in there! I don't think I've ever seen the Stobbs before, so I enjoyed seeing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! i sure thought that he was a slugger when i bought that particular card.

      Delete
  3. I think this would make a cool blog bat around. My only problem is I don't know if I own a 1954 or 1955 Topps card. I just got my first 1953 Topps card and I'll be writing about that in tomorrow's post.

    ReplyDelete