Wednesday, October 7, 2020

printing in pink

october. and the trees are stripped bare of all they wear. what do i care? october.

besides being my favorite u2 album, october is also breast cancer awareness month and the month that collecting cutch dedicates to saving second base by posting pink (and pink-ish) hued cards, of andrew mccutchen. he encourages everyone to participate and spread the word about the importance of mammograms and other means to prevent breast cancer.

i have had a couple of family members diagnosed with this disease (neither survived although it was not necessarily the cause of death), and this cause is hitting home a bit closer this year as my wife had a cancerous growth removed several months ago.  all is good, however, and i am able to do my small bit to help raise awareness.  here is the link to the national breast cancer foundation's page that brian has provided in his posts.

and here is my pink-ish card to share - a 2006 upper deck sp legendary cuts steve garvey "when it was a game" insert magenta printing plate:
i think that's pink enough.  this printing plate is one of a small number of garvey plates that i have in my collection, and it is probably the nicest in terms of being able to see what the card looks like.

garvey himself has done some public service announcements to raise awareness of multiple myeloma, a type of blood cancer that struck his father-in-law as well as one of my favorite players, don baylor. i am sure he would approve of this card being used to raise awareness of a different type of cancer. i am more of an ass-man myself, but there is no denying that second base should be saved.

5 comments:

  1. Terrific card. Garvey is still one of my favorite ballplayers.

    Good Job. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool plate with the wood grain look. And congratulations on the win tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking Garvey plate. I think I have October on vinyl somewhere. Or at least I did a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an awesome plate!

    P.S. I forgot to email you, but your cards arrived a couple of days ago. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats a sweet plate!!!! Since youre more an ass man, flip that plate over and lets see the backside. I feel like the little stickers on the magenta plates often are very pink in color, although I don't have a single UD plate in my entire collection so I can't speak from experience.

    Glad to hear everything is good with the wife.

    ReplyDelete