Monday, April 27, 2020

twelve years a steve

it wasn't really a white whale, but i did finally find a dodger ticket from 2008 to add to my steve garvey collection
it comes from the game played 12 years ago today, a game in which the dodgers walked-off the rockies in the 10th inning, courtesy of a bases loaded single by james loney. 

i didn't attend this game (i was in florida that weekend), and i'm not sure exactly when i became aware of these tickets which featured various dodger legends in celebration of the club's 50th anniversary of moving to los angeles, but it has been a while.  over the last few years, most of the stubs i've seen have not featured garvey and were/are very expensive because they are from clayton kershaw's big league debut that occurred about a month after this game. 

this ticket joins one other that i have in my garvey collection (that post needs some serious updating!) thanks to the dodger fan who kept it and offered it up for sale recently. that's one more ebay saved search i can delete!

5 comments:

  1. Very cool. I enjoy collecting ticket stubs too. Shame that I can't remember the last A's or Giants game I attended that actually came with a ticket stub. Seems like the past 5 years I've only used printed tickets or my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's one negative about today's technology in ticketing - no stubs!

      Delete
  2. Those 2008 Stubs seem to be much harder that you'd think to find. I am always on the lookout for them and in fact, just got another Garvey myself, as well as a lot of 4-5 other players.

    I do recall some of them were made into cards. I even have one of the cards that features an embedded Garvey stub.

    That was also the year, I believe, that Miller did the Dodger beer cans and bottles for a half dozen players, Garvey included. Another item that you would think would be plentiful (there are ENDLESS streams of mid 70s RC Cola baseball cans available at any given time), but you can't hardly find them to save your life. That said, there is a Garvey can listed on ebay right now (item# 383456523260) and considering how infrequently I have seen them offered, it is a bargain at the asking price (plus you can make a best offer to potentially get it cheaper AND s/h is free). No, it is not mine and I am not pimping the listing for anyone. Just a seldom seen item that I took notice of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you curt! i had not put 2 and 2 together even though i have a couple of those 2009 topps ticket to stardom ticket stub cards featuring dodger stubs from 2008. the cards i have only included the nondescript top or bottom parts of the ticket. i'm pleased to say that after a quick trip to ebay and comc, i've found a couple to add to my garvey collection.

      Delete
    2. also, i did look at that beer can after you commented here. i watched it and immediately got an offer from the seller of $17. i'm trying to avoid oddly sized items these days, and if i were to purchase the can, i'd cut and flatten it.

      Delete