Saturday, June 1, 2019

a five barrel salute to my steve garvey collection

steve garvey is officially being inducted in to the 'legends of dodger baseball' club tonight at dodger stadium. this is a way for the dodger organization to recognize 'hall of very good' players, as their uniform number retirement criteria has long required hall of fame induction (except for lifelong dodger jim gilliam). it's not perfect, but i know that the twins do a similar thing - they have a 'twins hall of fame' which includes the likes of joe nathan, jim perry, frank viola, etc, while they have a different criteria for retired numbers.  alas, i'm unable to attend the game, but it seems like a good reason to show off some big garvey additions to my collection.

just over a year ago, i added a 2017 topps museum collection steve garvey bat barrel 1/1 card to my collection.
this is the second bat barrel card of the garv in my collection, although it is the lone solo barrel card.

the other one, also a 1/1, is from 2006 upper deck epic and features not just garvey, but manny mota
and a couple of other steves - sax and yeager.
pedro guerrero's left arm makes an appearance around yeager's neck for good measure.

this is the good stuff.

4 comments:

  1. Those are amazing! I'd love to have a bat barrel, haven't found one I could afford of any of my guys yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barrel and bat knob cards are awesome and would love to add either to my collection at some point. Also, I find it supremely cool that you know whose arm is around Steve Yeager!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Those are awesome! I loved Steve as a kid. Glad he's being honored by the Dodgers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't recall ever seeing the Dodger quad from Epic for sale. How did you come to acquire it? I tried for the Quad with Al Oliver (who I have a mini collection of), but not only did it go too high $$, but it was also damaged, amking it that much harder for me to go hard and heavy after it. Still an epic piece, literally.

    I think I recall the other one selling. I want to say it was in a period of time where I was kind of down on spending big bucks for the rare Garvey cards and may not have gone all in on that one either. Great cards I wouldn't mind having myself now.

    ReplyDelete