Thursday, October 10, 2024

the almost daily dodger - bob welch

tomorrow is the anniversary of bob welch's world series debut. he relieved terry forster in the 9th inning of game 2 of the 1978 world series with the dodgers leading the yankees 4-3. there was one out and two on when welch entered the game. he got thurman munson to fly out to reggie smith and then struck out reggie jackson to end the game.

here's his 1984 topps tiffany card
that has been sitting in my scanned folder ever since i added it to my collection a few months ago. it is the only 1984 topps tiffany card that i have in my dodger collection.

there was so much joy in my neighborhood following that strikeout of jackson, and welch's save gave the dodgers a 2-0 lead in the series. unfortunately for me and my friends, the dodgers wound up losing the next four. that was when i really began to understand the "wait 'til next year" mentality.

No comments:

Post a Comment