Friday, November 24, 2023

lack of focus

i had never seen fernando valenzuela's 1994 panini sticker before i ordered it from a sportlots seller not too long ago. 
it's a great oddball addition to my fernando post-dodger collection, and it is doubly of interest to me because of cal ripken jr lurking there in the background even if he is out of focus.

i went looking through my fernando collection to see if there was a card from his dodger days showing steve garvey in the background since ripken and garvey were once right next to each other on the all-time consecutive games played streak leaderboard, but i couldn't find one. at the time of the photo, ripken was still a couple of years away from catching lou gehrig, but he was well past garvey.  

i think it's an interesting note that fernando played with the two iron men of the post-war era - one more iron than the other, of course.

here's another oriole fernando card for my collection that is interesting in a different way
it's a 1994 pacific card - the prisms insert with a print run of 8,000 as i understand it. and, while i'm at it, i suppose i'll show a 1995 pacific card in the same vein, although this one is a dodger - henry rodriguez to be exact
and since this has somehow become a post of pacific cards, here's a raul mondesi insert from 1999 pacific omega
looking at the backgrounds of those three pacific cards, i am surprised that no card company created cards with a magic eye image in the background. seems like a missed opportunity to me.

this started out as a quick post to show the panini sticker and now i am thinking about seinfeld. better stop here before i post some keith hernandez cards.

a quick plug for my most wanted list - if you have a 1996 collector's choice #299 fernando card (he's a padre), let's trade!

5 comments:

  1. You know what? Magic Eye baseball cards does sound like a good idea. Not a whole big set, maybe, but an insert or something. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness I forgot how much I like those Pacific Prizm inserts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a lot more Pacific Prism football than baseball back then so these are new to me. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wondered how much time I spent at the mall when I was younger staring at those Magic Eye posters. I never could see the hidden image :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pacific's Prism was, and always will be, far superior to Panini's Prizm.

    ReplyDelete