Sunday, July 23, 2023

these cards maeda my day

he may not pitch for the dodgers any longer, but i can still get excited about adding kenta maeda cards to my collection. i recently added two numbered parallels, in fact, including this very nice 2016 topps finest gold card
and this red parallel 2016 donruss optic card
from kevin aka the diamond king. he also threw in a pink wave refractor of craig kimbrel
from 2022 topps chrome update, which i was also happy to accept. these cards were in return for me sending a couple of 2016 topps julio urias cards kevin's way, and i think he may have overcompensated me!

earlier in the spring, i received a text from mr. haverkamp letting me know that there would be something showing up in my mailbox around opening day. here is what he sent:
you have likely seen these cards if you do any player searches on ebay. it's an aceo card by edward vela, and there are a few garveys out there. here's the back:
i've never pulled the trigger on any of these, but i am happy to have one. jim reported that he came across a seller at a show that had quite a few for sale. thanks for thinking of me, jim!

before that even, i received some cards from nachos grande as part of his "not so secret santa" project. i was happy to find a couple of 1995 score summit dodgers that i needed
among the stack of cards that were sent. so happy, in fact, that i went out and picked up billy ashley's card
to complete the team set

chris also sent a trio of vlads that i needed
hailing from 1999 pacific, 1999 topps opening day, and 2000 topps stars. merry belated christmas!

bo at baseball cards come to life reached out to me earlier this year to see if i wanted some 2006 bowman chrome dodgers that he had found. i sure did!
there was also one from 2007
and all were needs that i was able to check off the want list. thanks bo!

more recently, jon at penny sleeves held a ridiculous giveaway that many of us benefitted from. i claimed a few cards, including this 2012 panini cooperstown
insert that extolls the virtues of don drysdale's career.  jon also sent me a 2017 topps silver pack jackie robinson card
so much generosity out there in the blogosphere - thanks to all for contributing to my collection!

4 comments:

  1. Glad the cards made it! Interesting and strange Vela card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still don't know what exactly the deal is with those Edward Vela cards, but yes, it's nearly impossible to do a player search on eBay and not see them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always liked Maeda. I still collect his cards with gusto even though I haven't heard much about him in what seems like ages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice hiding all those bonus cards under the Maeda post title. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete