Wednesday, November 17, 2021

gone microfiche-in'

there are a few items on my steve garvey "want/need" list that i don't really plan to ever obtain. some, like the 1982 fbi disc, would be more than welcome in my collection but they are extremely rare. others, like the 1981 long beach press telegram newspaper cutout don't excite me too much even if they were more readily available.

one item that i did hope to one day add to the collection was the 1981 gafline issue. even though it was part of the want list i originally generated using beckett's catalog, i didn't really know what it was until mrmopar started blogging and posted about it back in 2010. after seeing that it was a microfiche card, i really did want to add one to my garvey collection.

earlier this year, i was able to do just that!
here's the view from the back
it's microfiche, so it's just the reverse of the front.

as mrmopar said in his post, there isn't a lot of information out there behind this issue, but it reminds me of the time spent at the library doing research for various school papers by using the records that had been converted to microfilm.

there were two or three of these posted for sale on ebay earlier in 2021, one of which was somewhat hidden in a larger garvey lot that was part of an estate liquidation. i missed out on that one, but was able to get this one at a decent price - as far as i could tell, anyway.  it's one of my favorite garvey oddball items for sure!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats Jim! I think that item has probably leveled out as much as it ever will, unless another extreme Garvey collector shows up and wants one. They were non-existent for a couple decades it seems, then in the last couple of years, I have seen 4-5 being offered for sale. I even had a guy reach out to me several years back that had a Hank Aaron and a Jim Hunter in the same design. He wouldn't trade or sell them to me though and he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth since. There were at least 2 more in the "set", but I have never seen either offered for sale, not that I am looking either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks curt. i appreciate you posting about it back then. i saw none for a long time and then a few came up for sale at about the same time. would be cool to see the aaron and catfish versions.

      Delete
  2. That’s a really cool, weird find. I’m sure it’s great to finally have one after so many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks jay. it is weird and wonderful and really does remind me of my time as a student as well as at my first internship where we had a microfiche machine and a complete microfiche record of properties in orange county.

      Delete