Thursday, December 3, 2020

harpooning a blackless whale

this is going to turn in to another installment of "quien es mas macho", i can already feel it.  first though, i am pleased to report that i have finally obtained a copy of steve garvey's 1982 topps blackless variation.
there it is, in all it's glory.

when i first learned about these variations maybe 20 years ago, i assumed that they were available in greater numbers. the psa registry notes that "there are reportedly less than 100 of each of the blackless cards" in existence. i would have said "fewer" but that's just me.  at any rate, trying to find a blackless garvey decades after the card was issued was tough. i missed one a year or two ago which was also the first one i had seen offered for sale in a long, long time.  so, when another popped up at the end of the summer, i bought it. first, i waited to see if the price would drop (it did - by a whopping 5%), and then i bought it.

i really like it, and i wish that the original set were like this. i am not a fan of facsimile signatures on cards, plus i think the lack of the black border around the photo works better with the design of the card.  here's the regular card, to refresh your memory:
the facsimile signature on garvey's card is not too obnoxious, but there was so much variation in the overall set related to its location (see willie stargell's card, for example) that its presence annoyed me. the photo selection by topps did not always support a black signature, and, in my opinion, that was something that should have been considered if the autograph was going to be a design element.  this was the second set that i collected that had these signatures (1980 topps was the first time i saw them in bulk), and i thankfully didn't see them again for 25 years.

clearly, the blackless version es mas macho. my acquisition of this blackless card reduces the number of "playing days" cards of garvey that i am missing, but the remainder are doozies. anyone have a 1972 topps venezuelan stamp of the garv to spare?

7 comments:

  1. Very cool pickup. I agree about leaving the facsimile signatures off, but that's only because I'd be totally chasing signed copies of these cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look a lot cleaner. Nice score!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of these before, but I always enjoy learning about things like this. I can't remember if anyone I collect is on this checklist, I'm kind of hoping not now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a huge fan of facsimile signatures, so the blackless '82s definitely look better to me. It's not an urgent need, but I wouldn't mind picking up a blackless one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how with the black-less version there isn't the black border around the picture. I'm not sure why though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe I offered on that one you ended up with. I "lowballed" the seller. Well, not really, but obviously if we are talking about the same card, and you only got a 5% discount, I had no real shot at it. I seem to recall offering about $30. They seem to have grown in popularity too, making them a little harder to get when they do pop up. I still think $30 is pretty nice for a card like that, but apparently there are plenty more folks willing to pay much more.

    Speaking of much more, the 72 Venezuelan! I saw 2 really poor conditioned versions sell within the last couple of months. Ebay is being a pisser about BO prices now, so trakcing end prices like I have done for years, it harder. It seems a fair number of the Venezuelans that showed up in the last decade plus were fakes. I believe that I own a fake, but considering that even at the prices they brought, there are not a lot of fakes floating out there either. Maybe it was a non-malicious "fake"? I don't plan to drop 2-5X what I paid for a "fake" to have a rag of a real one at this point in my collecting career. I'll just keep pretending mine is real and call it good. i have rarer items that I have never seen again that nobody would give two turds about. The collecting world is quite funny about rarities and demand. They don't always line up quite right.

    ReplyDelete