Tuesday, August 6, 2019

roberto clemente is in my hall of famer collection

brian from collecting cutch sent me a card a couple of years ago that, when i look back, was an impetus for this formalization of my hall of famer collection:
that's a 2005 donruss greats roberto clemente hall of fame souvenirs relic card.  here's the back:
what can i say about roberto clemente that will do him justice?  he passed away before i was aware of baseball, but he was an iconic enough figure that i learned about him very early on in my fandom. i even wrote a report on him in elementary school, focusing on the relief efforts that led to his untimely passing.  when pete rose got his 3000th hit in the 1978 season, i learned how special that number is to baseball, and was immediately thankful that clemente had reached that milestone with his final career hit. his 1973 card - a true 'final tribute' - is one of my favorite cards ever produced.

i had placed this card with some other 'favorite' cards that otherwise didn't really fit in my collection - a marcel dionne relic card, a jack youngblood autograph card, and a cool cesar cedeno relic card to name a few other misfits that i want to hold on to.  now it sits with a bunch of other hall of famers in a more organized part of my collection.

here's my hall of famer collection as its been documented so far:

babe ruth - 2003 topps tribute world series edition world series tribute relic 351/425:

bob feller - 2001 topps archives

jackie robinson - 2004 topps clubhouse collection clubhouse relics

roberto clemente - 2005 donruss greats hall of fame souvenirs relic

warren spahn - 1999 upper deck century legends epic signatures

hank aaron - 2004 topps originals 1979 topps all-time record holders rbi 03/32:

bruce sutter - 2003 topps all-time fan favorites

pete rose* - 2018 panini flawless legendary signatures 15/25
you can find the full list of hall of famers (and some not - yet) that i aim to include in this collection at my want list site.

*not currently a member of the hall of fame

2 comments:

  1. I think it was on one of Brian's posts that I commented about being surprised at how many Clemente relics there are out there. I know that I probably shouldn't be surprised, but I am, it just doesn't seem like there would be ton of his items around that people would want to see get cut up for cards?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet card. Clemente passed away when I was only a few months old... but I've read enough about him to understand his legacy. He was a legend for what he accomplished on the baseball field... and a hero for what he accomplished off of it.

    P.S. I also have a full three row super shoebox dedicated to sports card misfits... which contains cards that don't really fit into my collection, but it's stuff I really, really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete